During the recent years the institution of Municipal/Community Youth Councils has been developed rapidly.
The liturgy of this institution in Cyprus began in late 2001- early 2002, with the support of the Local Authority and YBC. The first Community Youth Councils were established in the Municipalities of Paphos and Aradippou.
- The creation of a participatory institution that will provide the opportunity to youth and particularly to youth organised clubs to be activated withing the Local Authority. An opportunity is also given to youth clubs and youth organisations such as student, voluntary, social, political, cultural, environmental organisations and also informal youth groups to actively been involved in issues that affect them and to take part in the decision making process within their Municipality or Community. Young people have the opportunity to disscuss, to suggest the adoption of various issues and therefore benefit from the implementation of different programs, actions and infrastructure projects of their Municipality or Community.
- The Municipal/Community Youth Councils are considered as the base of continuous and substantial connection and communication between youth and Muicipality and Community Autorities. This will help the Muicipality and Community Autorities to identify any possible interests or problems of young people and to activevely find solutions.
THE ROLE AND ACTION PLAN OF MUNICIPALITY AND COMMUNITY YOUTH COUNCILS:
- A basic principle of the Municipality and Community Youth Councils is their advisory role for Municipality and Community Authorities. The Municipality and Community Youth Councils prepare an annual action plan, addressed to youth people, including a financial budget. Similarly, they recommend solution-policies in regards to problems that young people face in relation to the Local Authority. Further, they can recommend the implementation of infrastructure projects, programs and actions for the benefit of young peolple of each Municipality and Community.
- The supporting role of the Municipal and Community Youth Councils for the organised youth groups: the main aim of the Municipal/Community Youth Councils is to enhance the youth organisations in a multiface way, in order to develop further the local action. This enhancement can be economic, technical or informative for the programs and actions of the Cyprus Youth Board, or the Local Authority and or other bodies, that youth organisations can take advantage of.
- The complementary role of the Municipal/Community Youth Councils should not gradually developed as a substitute of the organised youth groups and act in a competitive manner in any way. The Municipal/Community Youth Councils should be more active wherever the organised youth groups are unable to do so. In essence the principle of subsidiarity should apply in the context of the Municipal/Community Youth Councils’ function.
FINANCIAL RESOURCES OF MUNICIPAL AND COMMUNITY YOUTH COUNCILS:
The Local Authority supports financially the Cyprus Youth Council. It is also possible for the Municipal and Community Youth Councils to receive financial help from the private sector in the form of grants for a specific program or activity. Specific programs and activities can also be sponsored by the YBC through the “Youth Initiatives Project”.
THE ROLE OF THE YOUTH BOARD:
The role of the YBC cannot in any way replace the role of the Municipal and Community Authorities. The role of the YBC is to support and help the Youth Councils of local authority in regards to any action or issue that benefit young people. This help and support to the Local Authority and the Municipal and Community Youth Councils can be economic , technical and advisory for activities, programs or even infrastructure projects that could be developed.
UP TO DATE STATUS – ESTABLISHMENT OF MUNICIPAL AND COMMUNITY YOUTH COUNCILS:
Until today 23 Municipal and 3 Community Youth Councils have been established. The municipalities interested to establish their own Municipal Youth Council must contact YBC.